ENVIRONMENTAL AND INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE SERVICES
SIPE is dedicated to provide quality services and a comprehensive, proactive risk management program that promotes the health and safety of employees and protects the assets of the member school districts.
What is Industrial Hygiene?
Industrial hygiene (IH) is the science of anticipating, recognizing, evaluating, and controlling workplace conditions that may cause workers' injury or illness. Industrial hygienists use environmental monitoring and analytical methods to detect the extent of worker exposure and employ engineering, work practice controls, and other methods to control potential health hazards. Click here for more information.
SIPE’s environmental and industrial hygiene services are preformed almost entirely by the SIPE staff. We work directly with Members and if necessary outside contractors to help reduce exposure to potential losses and control loss-related expenses.
SIPE provides, at no additional charge to Members, environmental and industrial hygiene services such as:
- Consultations on various environmental and IH issues
- Assistance with regulatory requirements
- Training; customized, onsite
- Reviews of specific operations, activities or facilities
- Investigating and examining the workplace for hazards and potential dangers
- Making recommendations on improving the safety of workers
- Conducting scientific research to provide data on possible harmful conditions in the workplace
- Lead and Asbestos consultations and Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA)(inspections, sampling, air testing, abatement specifications, project management, clearances, etc.)
- Ergonomic worksite evaluations (cumulative trauma disorders, repetitive stress injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.)
- Indoor air quality evaluations (sick building syndrome)
- Mold testing, education, prevention and remediation assistance
- Hazard communications programs, right-to-know
- Chemical and lab safety assistance
- Detection and control of potential occupational hazards such as noise, illumination, radiation and occupational disease
- Hazardous waste management
If you would like to schedule or inquire about an industrial hygiene service, please call 460-0280 extension 103. Members are encouraged to contact SIPE before contacting outside vendors for IH related resources.